How to enable GPS on the Alltel HTC PPC6800
How to enable GPS on the Alltel HTC PPC6800. By default the HTC PPC6800 (otherwise known as the TITAN) has GPS capabilities via it’s chipset. However the wireless carrier Alltel has chosen not to include necessary drivers that enable the PPC6800 internal GPS chipset on their distributed products. The good news is that you can still install the necessary drivers and get the internal GPS chipset fully functional and working.
Enabling GPS on the Alltel HTC PPC 6800:
Note: Steps 2-8 are no longer necessary as the latest ROM from HTC includes the necessary drivers.
Warning: Follow this tutorial at your own discretion. I am offering absolutely no warranty for this information. By following this tutorial, you agree not to hold me accountable for anything, should something go wrong. Continue at your own risk!
Before proceeding, ensure that your Alltel HTC 6800 has been flashed to the official HTC ROM version 3.52.671.9. You can download the ROM direct from HTC’s Website.
- Download Google Maps and install to your phone. This will be used to verify GPS works
- Download EnableGPS.zip to your computer and unzip it
- Copy the EnableGPS folder to your phone using activesync
- Using your phone, open up File explorer and navigate to the EnableGPS folder
- Click and run each file in order (they are numerically labeled 1-4)
- After you have finished running each file in order, power off your phone and power it back on (or use soft reset)
- Once your phone is up and running again, navigate to Start -> Settings and click the Phone icon
- Click the Services tab, Select Location Settings and then click the Get Settings button. Ensure that 911 service is ON (box checked)
- Start up Google maps and navigate to Menu -> Use GPS
If all goes well, GPS will appear active and a blue text box will appear in the upper right hand corner reading “Seeking GPS Satellites” and eventually lock on to the Satellites in your area.
Rate this Pocket PC Freeware
Note: All PPC Software listed on this site has been tested to work using my personal "HTC PPC 6800" Phone prior to posting. Listed software may or may not work on Smartphones as well. Support should be obtained directly from the author of the software.